By Katy Kauffman, @KatyKauffman28
Fifty-two flavors of ice cream sound exciting. Fifty-two weeks of blog posts sound daunting. But don’t panic. Relieve some of the pressure of blogging weekly by incorporating series into your blogging calendar.
When we write a series on our blogs, we have a plan that relieves anxiety and opens the floodgates of creativity. We can choose the theme, and before we ever start the series, we can brainstorm posts to fit into that theme.
A series can last from one month to three. Allow yourself some spontaneity by scheduling some “random” posts in between the series. Then enjoy a schedule of planned and unplanned topics.
Which of these 20 ideas fit the purpose and style of your blog?
- 10 lessons God taught you in 2017
- 5 resolutions for the new year and how NOT to give up on them
- 4 devotions about your favorite Bible verses
- 6 devotions about Bible characters whose stories fit a particular theme (faith, courage, or love)
- 4 reviews of books you read or movies you watched in 2017
- 4 topics from your current book project (according to your agent or editor’s discretion)
- 7 parables Jesus taught in the Gospels and how they apply to life today
- 4 reasons why prayer is needed in our generation
- 3 unforgettable lessons learned from a parent, mentor, or friend
- 5 things in nature that have taught you more about life with God
- 3 times that you nearly gave up on something, but God enabled you to persevere
- 5 truths that turn life’s trials into treasures
- 5 ways for people to dance, not drag themselves, through a busy schedule
- 7 meal plans for busy writers (Please share this one with us, so we can see it!)
- The story behind the book – 5 reasons why you are writing your current project
- 4 short phrases people said to you that changed your life forever
- According to the current season, 3 years’ holidays you’ll never forget (Easter, Mother’s Day, Christmas, or so forth)
- 5 reasons why Jesus is the Rock in the storms of life
- 4 things we can do to show our family and friends we love them
- 6 encouraging posts based on your go-to topic—what topic do you always come back to without thinking about it?
Don’t let a new year of posts overwhelm you. Plan now, and save yourself some headaches later. What you write on your blog not only encourages your readers, but allows them to know you and your message better. So brainstorm now, and enjoy a new year of reaching your audience with encouragement, creativity, and the truth.
In the comments below, tell us which of the 20 ideas are your top 3 favorites. Keep blogging, and happy 2018!
Katy Kauffman is an award-winning author, an editor of Refresh Bible Study Magazine, and a co-founder of Lighthouse Bible Studies. Her Bible studies for women focus on winning life’s spiritual battles, and she has the privilege of editing compilations written by Christian authors from around the country. Her next compilation—a Bible study on godly character—releases in the spring of 2018. Katy currently contributes to three blogs, and she loves spending time with family and friends, scrapbooking, and making jewelry. Connect with her at her blog and on Facebook and Twitter.