Welcome to our faculty five post, where you will find out five fun facts about the 2017 BRMCWC faculty. This week, we’ll hear from our Awards director author Eva Marie Everson, author Deborah Raney, and Literary Agent with Credo Communications Ann Byle.
Eva Marie Everson
- In 2001, while being interviewed by a magazine reporter, I was struck by lightning. The reporter said it was the most shocking interview of his career.
- My first grade teacher asked me to watch her purse while she went to speak to the principal. I thought she said “wash.” Mrs. Boddiford’s face when she returned to the room to find her purse in sudsy water will never be forgotten.
- I graduated from high school after my junior year, at the ripe old age of 16.
- During one trip while returning from the Savannah area back home to the Orlando area, I found myself halfway to Miami because I was so busy plotting a novel I forgot to get off I-95 South.
- One of the best days of my life was the day I walked 10 miles of The Jesus Trail in Israel with my Jewish friend Miriam. Experiencing the hike alone with her will remain with me forever.
- I’m a farmer’s daughter who speaks Pig Latin fluently, thanks to my dad teaching us kids my parents’ secret language (much to my mom’s chagrin!)
- I’m the oldest of 4 girls and a boy who married the oldest of 4 boys and a girl. They say two firstborns shouldn’t marry, but after 42 years of bliss, we beg to differ!
- I gave birth to 4 children in 3 different decades.
- My first contract offer came the day after I witnessed a murder in our local grocery store.
- I’m a garage sale junkie! My hubby and I have a standing date early every Thursday morning to explore Wichita’s garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets.
- I played the oboe all through high school and for a couple of years in college. My daughter played the oboe too, using the horn I used all those years ago.
- We have three chickens that roam our backyard: Helen, Jemima and Sadie. They love dog food!
- I once interviewed Frank Peretti, Joel Osteen and Lysa TerKeurst all in the same week in my other job as a freelance writer.
- I love decorating with other peoples’ castoffs. My favorite stores are Goodwill, consignment shops, and garage sales.
- I can bait a hook, catch a fish, clean the fish, cook it, then eat it. Piatt Lake in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is my favorite fishing lake.